My name is Alex. I have a lot of pop culture feelings. So many, in fact, that they were starting to garner complaints from people who
actually know me. So, in an attempt to maintain actual relationships with real people who exist, I created a blog to dump all my feelings about fictional charcaters (and some “non-fictional” celebrity characters). Sadly, it will probably be updated more regularly than anything else I do, because I’m just that kind of girl.
Either way, before we get started I figured I’d introduce myself. I’m going to endeavour to do so in the least pretentious way possible, but lists of things like this inevitably make you sound like a hipster dick (“I like tea, polaroids, oversized knitted jumpers, skinny jeans and underground dancehall music produced by Japanese girls who play the oboe.” This is an example of a thing that I am trying not to do.) Here goes:
- I am 22. I live in Sydney. I have two housemates. They are nice, but they don’t really get the whole pop culture-junky thing. One of them recently started watching Game of Thrones though. I consider this a minor victory for myself.
- I study journalism. I don’t think I’m very good at it, but I try and people always told me that was half the battle.
- I work. I am not going to tell you what I do because I do a job that makes most people want to throttle me as soon as they meet me. So let’s just say it pays the rent.
- I become excessively emotionally involved in the novels I’m reading and the films I’m watching. This leaves me with a kind of book/film/television hangover a lot of the time, which means that as soon as someone asks me “how was it?” I immediately vomit emotion onto them in an Excorist-style fit of head-spinning and shouting, until they regret ever asking.
- I tweet. A lot. More when I’m on public transport. I think I’m hilarious, but most people would probably categorise me as mean.
So that’s me, in a very snug little nutshell. I should probably give you a list of things that I am currently reading and watching and whatnot as well, just to give you an idea of what you’re in for.
Reading: 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami, although I’m a bit sidetracked at the moment so what I am reading is actually more like academic essays for university papers.
Watching: I have seen The Avengers twice in the last week. I love it. I will probably post about it later because, by God, do I have thoughts. I am watching the second season of Game of Thrones, but I’m not entirely caught up yet and I was too exhausted to do so this morning. The BBC Sherlock has briefly taken over my life and will continue to do so until they make a new season in 2013. There are a lot of things that could go here. The list is way too long.
Listening: I’m actually terrible at keeping up with new music, but my flatmate isn’t so I usually bludge things off him. I’m also vaguely obsessive (I don’t know if you can tell, ha!) so I often listen to the same thing over and over again until I can’t stand it any more and then I move on. So my feelings on bands are often either on the scary side of groupie or right down the other end of the spectrum at ‘completely devoid of emotion.’ I am quite proud of myself though, because this week I found a beatboxer on Youtube called The Petebox who I really enjoy. You should look him up.
Anyway. Those are a few things about me. When I get home from uni I’ll probably get into the meaty stuff that I want to think about. (There’s a couple of things that have happened today that warrant discussion.)
See you in a few hours.